Tuesday, December 15, 2009

T C Thomsons Children's Hospital A great place to never have to go.


Today my son got a major head laceration. OK maybe not major to Doctors, EMTs, and Nurses but to Me and Nick it was pretty bad.   While running across the room at Signal Center's day care he fell and cut his head on the bottom shelf of the cubbies they have for the kids to put their coats and bedding in.  Later when I have time and more distance I'll write about the accident more.  Today I plan to write about the hospital visit.


First I am so proud of my(ok Karen OUR) son.  Nick was a real little man today.  The only time he cried durring the procedure was when the doctor ripped the bandage off tearing his hair out by the roots, I think I would have been a little upset ther myself.  I at that moment came the closest I have as an adult to kicking another Adults ass.


That Doctor made the next five minutes of cleaning and preping Nick so much harder for Nick, and more difficult for me then it had need to be.  If he had more gently removed the bandage I know Nick would never have cried at all durring the procedure.  I don't know what kind of people he was use to dealing with but I found that part of his bed side manor the most shocking event of the day.


The Med student, resident, nurses and people at the desk were the most helpful kind and soothing people I have had the displeasure to ever meet(its never a pleasure to meet people in that situation).  The doctor while competent lacked a fundamental element to his bed side manor.  I really felt his whole attitude was lacking and condescending toward me and Nick. 


On the other hand I can not speak highly enough about the Lady in admitting who made several trips to the room so I would not have to leave Nick's side even when I Think I gave her the wrong info she found the correct information and got it back to me and the medical team. I didn't get her name but those of you my friends who pray please include her in your prayers this week for I feel she went truly above and beyond the requirements of her job.



I know a little face lac is not a world altering event but for the father dealing with a sick or hurt child going a little bit extra was a big help and much appreciated.


But no matter how well I think of Children's Hospital I feel the complete opposite for Erlanger and their parking  garage.   After I had Paid 200 dollars out of pocket for the Emergency Room Visit.  And no telling  how many thousands from the insurance company they have the audacity, the guile, the words fail me here to to charge me MORE Money to get my car out of the Parking Garage.  They charged me a dollar with a stamped ticket to park so I could get my sons head stitched up.  And if I had not a Mother in Law with me who had the dollar i'd sill be stuck there waiting to get my car out. And What Bothers ME even More is that If that same Mother in Law had not had the forethought to remember the ticket and get it stamped it would have cost me Ten Times that Amount for the honor of parking while I paid them sew my sons head closed once again.  This Totally Sent me Pissy.


What I want to know IS what would of happened if I had just paid the hospital every last cent I had for their service and then I could not get my car out of the Garage.  Are they going to sell my car to make their dollar?  Hold my child for ransom until I hand over four bits.  Maybe they will just place a lean on my house for 10 dimes.


I had been all warm feelings and cozy thoughts about TC Thompson that then evaporated the second I tried to leave.  I'm sure the few thousands of dollars they get from people who just left the Emergency Room isn't going to break them.  I can almost understand charging for  people visiting the Doctors building or just coming in for tests. I can even see charging those people visiting the sick people who are in the hospital.  But on NO WAY can I see charging some one in the Emergency Room to park.  How Much Are They Making if the COPay is Two Hundred Dollars.


Tell me Erlanger Board of Directors if you dare why you charge the ones who have the least choice in visiting. I passed two other hospitals and my sons doctor's office. Because I thought so Highly of Children's. I cant say the same for you.


And to Children Board I my have been more forgiving of the Doctor if I had not been subjected to this fiasco upon leaving your domain.


In the immortal words of Sister Mary Clarence "Bless You" Erlanger

No comments:

Post a Comment