Saturday, April 10, 2010

Firefly


Firefly album cover
Image via Wikipedia


14 shows.  Fox only gave us fourteen shows.  I didn't watch this show when it was on during it's run on Fox and so I'm partly at fault for the shows demise.  I have had many hours of watching Firefly this week on Netflix.  It is the best scifi I have watched in many years.

It many ways its right out of Robert Heinlein world.   The juxtaposition of  cowboys and spaceships could of come from the world of Lazarus Long from the book Time Enough for Love in the chapter The Story of the Adopted  Daughter.   In this section Heinlein tells the story of how the space colonies have imported horses and built wagons to help colonize the planet.  Heinlein's explanation that horses can eat foliage and wagons can be made from local wood.  Horses are self replicating trackers require gas, oil, metal shops and mechanics.  (Yes for the people who would criticize my knowledge I know they imported talking mules)

I have read on the web many people criticize Joss Whedon for his use of cowboys, six shooters and other anachronistic forms in his space show.  I would explane to them what Heinlein showed us.  That moving off planet would require that we develop again a primitive society until we could rebuild the tech based from the resources of that world.

The stories are of such deep settings that you can not see the resolution of show elements for many episodes.   Unfortunately for us we were not able to see the results for many of these storyline due to the premature ending of th show.  Among the stories I would liked to have  seen completed was the story of the sheepard.  I would have liked to see more about River and Simemon, some flashbacks about the romance of Zoe and Wash.  There was so much about this show that I would have liked to have seen.  The problem of caurse is that I didn't tune in to the show while it was on tv and I like so many others let the show down by not giving it the viewers it needed to be stay on TV.

The might of haves and could of haves and the if onlys have left us with only 14 shows and a movie for what might have been the best show of all time.  But it could of died a bad ending like Dollhouse.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment